Our rose window was a gift of the Sunday School class in 1879. The rose window is a hallmark of gothic architecture, and the circle is one of the most profoundly sacred symbols. The pattern of stained glass radiates out from the center like spokes of a wheel. In keeping with the Carpenter Gothic style of our church, the “rosettes” radiating out from the center are supported by the original, intricate wood structure. The center of our rose window is a pelican. According to legend, the pelican, which has the greatest love of all creatures for its offspring, pierces its breast to feed them with its own blood. On the basis of this legend the pelican came to symbolize Christ’s sacrifice on the cross — because of His love for all humankind.