The Rev. J. Rice Taylor, the first Rector of All Saints’, passionately traveled the world soliciting support for the building of a church in Saugatuck. In 1874-75 he was successful in assembling enough funds ($5000) to build the Carpenter’s Gothic church on the hill. Most of the funds to pay for the windows and their installation came from memorials and Sunday School fundraisers. Fr. Taylor ordered the glass from Belgium and the design and construction of the windows were completed in the East and then delivered to Saugatuck for installation in 1879-80.
Over the years the windows have seen damage, deterioration from the elements, and fading colors. There has been ongoing restoration—1920s, 1938, 1967, 1990s—and there is now a concerted effort to restore these historic widows to their original glory. .