All Saints' Episcopal Church is significant as a particularly pleasing and well preserved example of the board-and-batten, English-parish-church-type, Gothic Revival Church Genre of the nineteenth century. The structure is also important as a work of Midwest architect Gordon W. Lloyd, who specialized in church architecture.
All Saints' was listed in the National Register of Historic Places Inventory on December 27, 1884.
Michigan History Division, Department of State
Registered local Site NO. 808
Property of the state of Michigan, 1983
An Episcopal parish was organized in Saugatuck on All Saints’ Day, November 1, 1868. Services were held at various locations until 1873. In 1871 the parish purchased this property. Detroit architect Gordon W. Lloyd designed the Gothic Revival style church building. Although services were first held on January 25, 1873, the church was not completed until 1874. After a period of decline that caused the parish to become a diocesan mission, full parish status was restored in 1946.
Gordon W, Llyod (1832-1904) was amoung the midwest's foremost church architects. He was trained at England's Royal Academy, under the tutelage of his uncle, Ewan Christian. Lloyd immigrated to the United States in 1858 settling in Detroit. In 1861 he designed Detroit's Christ Church. Amoung his other churches are Central United Methodist Church in Detroit, Grace Episcopal Church in Mt. Clemens and St. Paul's Episcopal Church in flint. The design of All Saints closely resembles that of his St. James Church of Grosse Ile.
All Saints was listed in the Michigan State Register of Historic Sites on April 24th 1981.